Sunday, November 30, 2014

Some of my thoughts from over the last month

I have been full of emotions over the last month or so.  Not sure if it is that I'm getting older or if I'm just paying more attention to what is going on around me.  I have realized that I have been called to a certain place and been given a voice for some who are voiceless.  I know that I/we are right where God wants us to be.

A little over 3 years ago God called us to leave some of our comfort behind and move to the Keller Park neighborhood in South Bend.  This is not the worst neighborhood here in South Bend, with that being said we still have issues that I have never witnessed in the different places that I have lived in my life.  I love my neighborhood and all the issues that go with it.

A few weeks ago I was listening to Trip Lee's new album Rise (you should check it out if you haven't already done so).  As I was listening to a song called All Rise Up I was hit with a bunch of emotion and reflecting on where God has brought me over the last 7 1/2 years. Real quick for those that don't know alcohol consumed my life for the better part of 15 years. In June of 2007 I ended up in the hospital from drinking to much.  At that point I truly thought death was a possibility.  I obviously didn't die and I believe that it is because God had greater plans for me.  On January 25th, 2009 I gave my life to Christ.  It has been a roller coaster ride ever since and I wouldn't change it for a minute. Reflecting on where I was and then seeing where I am now lead to tears rolling down my face.  My time as a Christian has not always been a great time.  There have been lots of trials and tribulations over this time and even some anger at God.  During this time I have been thankful for a loving God who provides grace and forgiveness!

One of the main reasons we moved to South Bend was to be able to work with Transformation Ministries.  Check out the ministry here transformation58.com.  Every Wednesday I meet with 5 young men between 6th grade and 9th grade.  The group is racially diverse and represents our neighborhood and city well.  We have had to have some tough discussions and it is because we want more for these kids than what society says they are capable of.  They have raised up every time we have pushed the bar higher.  All they really want are people who care and that will push them to be better people.  This quote is fitting.
"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care!" Unknown

I have some view points on Ferguson and what is going on in our country right now but this post is not the place for that talk.  My goal is to build others up and get them to think before they post or respond to something, so I'm taking my own advice and cutting this post short.  I will leave you with my life passage:

James 1:2-5New International Version (NIV)

Trials and Temptations

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds,because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment